Weaknesses of a bakeholic

You know how most girls walk into a clothing/makeup/accessories/shoe store and their eyes light up, worries disappear and knees go weak?

Well I guess I'm not most girls, seeing as how that happens to me only when I walk into a baking supplies shop, a bakery, the baking recipe books section of a book store... you get the drift. Worst thing is, it doesn't even have to be a physical shop, a virtual one (i.e online blogshops) can get my bakeholic adrenaline pumping. Not good for my pockets, not good for my ears (hubby nagging :p).

Here are some recent purchases I made:

flour, by Joanne Chang
I first heard of Joanne when she competed with Bobby Flay in a sticky buns throwdown (those babies pictured on the top left corner of her book cover), which she won, by the way. This book came out in 2010 so I may be a little behind, but better late than never, right? I first borrowed this book from the National Library and to my horror, some inconsiderate bugger tore out huge chunks of sections from the book! Disgusting! But the recipes that remained were enough to set my heart aflutter. Hence, the decision to buy my own personal copy. Can't wait to try out her recipes! By the way, my favourite place to purchase cookbooks is Fishpond. It's an online store that sells many other things besides books, such as toys, health and beauty items. Most importantly, it provides free shipping! When I bought my first cookbook from there, it came all nicely bubble-wrapped in a cardboard box, ah what a delight. :)

Collapsible cupcake/cake carrier
Love it! Always have trouble transporting my cakes, like when I want to give some to my parents living on the other side of Singapore, or give to friends, bring it to a party. I don't have tupperware boxes that huge to fit some of my cakes, so sometimes I have to cut them all up and split them into small boxes, oh the heartache. So this, I got from taobao at 72 yuan, which is about SGD$15.16, so cheap right?! I saw this retailing at one of the baking supplies shop in Singapore for about 20 over dollars or 30 over dollars? I can't remember exactly. But, what a steal right? I love taobao, but I love 65daigou even more for making shopping at taobao so smooth and convenient.

Some of my other favourite baking supplies shop, bakeries etc.:
  • Phoon Huat - Just for the sheer convenience; there's one located in my neighbourhood
  • Kitchen Capers/BIY - for more atas ingredients like Valrhona chocolates, earl grey tea powder etc.
  • Fishpond - for my baking recipe books (they sell the books so much cheaper than at kinokuniya)
  • Sun Moulin - Marble cake-bread! Black sesame cheese flatbread! They are slightly pricey, but taste so good
  • Green Pumpkin - Ham and Cheese Focaccia
  • My ultimate favourite Peck Bakery - their Focaccia is to die for, and their to-go sandwiches are great for lunch, keeps me full till my next meal 


0 comments:

Post a Comment