Recipe: A pecan of hope

One of my favourite cooking shows on the Food Network is Barefoot Contessa. Hosted by Ina Garten, she makes preparing restaurant-worthy dishes a no-brainer; then again, so do many other chefs on cooking shows. Nonetheless, time and time again, that'd be a recipe I fancy while watching the show, then I'd google it and start imagining myself whipping up a storm in the kitchen, wow-ing myself and amazing my family and friends with my superb culinary skills.

Alas, in reality, the end product will always not be what I expect it to be. Maybe Westerners prefer their food a tad more savoury, with a bit more flavour, saltier, sweeter... I don't know, but the food that came out of my kitchen was certainly not oohh-ahhh-worthy. No, not the scene I had conjured up in my imagination. I was about to give up on Ina when I came across her recipe for Pecan Shortbread and I thought: Hmm, how about one last try? The results? Well, read on to find out...

3/4 lb or 12 oz of unsalted butter, room temperature

1 cup sugar; I took the liberty of adding just a little less than a cup of sugar as I didn't want the shortbread to be too sweet
1 tsp each of vanilla and almond extract
3 1/2 cups of all-purpose flour
1/4 tsp salt
1 1/2 cups small diced pecans
Sieve the flour and salt together
Set aside
Cream the butter
Scrap down the sides of your mixing bowl as needed
Add sugar and beat for a few minutes
Scrap down the sides...
What you'd see after beating for several minutes
Add the almond and vanilla extract and beat to combine
Add the sifted flour and salt mixture and beat on low speed to combine (you don't want flour flying everywhere)
Just beat it
Mix in the pecans...
The dough is ready!
Wrap the dough with a cling wrap
Smells good already...
Leave to chill in the fridge for about 30 minutes
Meanwhile, choose a cookie cutter that you desire!
I chose this 2-inch oval cookie cutter :) Start pre-heating your oven to 180 degrees
At the end of 30 minutes, roll out your dough on a surface dusted with flour to about a quarter inch thickness (the recipe calls for 1/2 inch, but oh well, we don't always have to follow recipes to a T, right?)
Cut them out and place them on a baking tray lined with a baking sheet. Bake for about 20-25 minutes or until the edges begin to brown

Fresh out of the oven!
On the first bite, you get the taste of that sweet, buttery crust and chewing on, the taste of the pecans start to come through. A delicious marriage of nuttiness and that subtly sweet, buttery shortbread. A success! :)



0 comments:

Post a Comment