Review: Good old Plain Vanilla

"Our story is simple – Plain Vanilla Bakery was borne of an earnest desire for some good old-fashioned cake." - Plain Vanilla

And there I was, on a Thursday afternoon, making my way along the circle line, headed for a little bakery at the corner of Lorong Mambong, Holland Village, in search for some good old-fashioned cake. 

As I made my way up to the second level of a row of restaurants, there it was, cupcake heaven. The place may be a little small, but make no mistake, the trays of cupcakes on display will take in all your attention. Minutes later, I emerge with a box of 6 cupcakes that I can't wait to bite into.




Its packaging is a pleasant departure from the usual pink, girly boxes we'd expect from a cupcakery. Instead, holding the sturdy, rustic box (they didn't provide plastic bags), made me feel like I was holding a little treasure box, weaving through the human traffic, just trying to bring it to a safe and quiet place before opening it up to see what treasures lie inside.

Flavours clockwise from top left: Red Velvet, Carrot, Cinnamon Brown Sugar, Dark Chocolate Ganache, Chocolate Hazelnut & Milk Chocolate Banana

I dive straight for the carrot (I know, dark chocolate and red velvet in front of me, and yet I went for the CARROT?!), and lo and behold, the cake was moist, chock full of walnuts and little bits of carrots. My only complaint: the overly sweet cream cheese frosting. In fact, the rest of the cupcakes were a delight to bite into, save for the icing. Nevertheless, at S$3.20 each or S$18 for every 6, it's money well-worth spending for a lil' pick-me-up in the middle of the day or at anytime of the day, for that matter.














Plain Vanilla
Operating Hours
34A Lorong Mambong 
Holland Village
Singapore 277691

Tuesdays to Saturdays: 12pm to 8pm
Sundays: 12pm to 6pm
Closed on Mondays

0 comments:

Post a Comment